The Best REI Coupon Code: REI Membership
REI Membership is a Perpetual REI Coupon Code
You get an average of 10% back on all your purchases at the end of the year. You don’t need any coupon code, you just give them your membership info (online it’s done when you log in, at the store you use your phone number). The fee is $20 for a lifetime membership. So the more years that you have it, the less it actually ends up costing. If you are buying something over $200, it pays for itself immediately.
So getting an REI Membership is basically like having a 10% REI coupon code for the rest of your life. Pretty cool.
And There Are Actual REI Coupon Codes Too!
In addition to the 10% off you get with membership, there are often member-only sales where you get up to 50% off. According to friends who work at REI, these sales often draw larger crowds than holiday shopping. At our local REI, they have a weekend every year where they sell all the returned goods and huge discounts. This year I managed to grab about $600 worth of gear for under $200.
Also REI often sends out 20% (or similar) coupons at different times of the year.
Other Discounts From REI Membership
You get discounts on classes and services at the store (depends on the store and service). For example, I get my bike serviced at REI all the time. My cost with the REI membership is about 60% of the regular price.
Most REI stores also have frequent classes on all kinds of outdoors subjects, from hiking, camping, survival skills, biking, water sports, snow sports, everything outdoors. These are either free for members or heavily discounted.
Other Benefits of REI Membership
- You can go online and check whether they have an item in stock at your local stores. Buy online and pick it up later.
- You can go to the actual store to check gear out, try shoes and clothes on, etc.
- The folks who work at REI generally are outdoors enthusiasts, so they know what they’re talking about, and will take the time to show you how to use gear and give recommendations.
- If you order online, they have free shipping for orders over $50.
- The have a great return policy.
- They are good people who love the outdoors. If you visit a store and speak with anyone working there, they are knowledgable and friendly. Most of the time they are ‘into it’.
- They treat their workers right.
- They have an outlet, the REI Outlet, where you can save crazy amounts on last year’s gear.
Yes, REI Membership Is Worth It
Here’s a good use case for the REI membership discount. There is some hiking gear that rarely get discounted or goes on sale. One of those is a GPS emergency beacon that I recommend everyone gets. Normally it goes for $280 or so.
When I purchased it, I used my 20% member coupon, and then got my REI Membership discount 10% back on the item, saving $84 (30%) on the sale. Normally I would not be able to get any discount on this item, including on Amazon.
And I felt good about it because I was supporting a store run by good people. Everyone wins.