For map lovers, CalTopo / SARTopo has added new high-resolution LiDAR elevation data to some of their map coverage. This quick video will show you why the new LiDAR data is excellent, how the elevation data (DEM) has evolved, and what we can expect moving forward with digital maps.
Have a question about the guide or want to see what other people are saying/asking? View the Youtube comments for this video. Leave a comment and I will do my best to respond.
- UNDERSTAND TOPO MAPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl9fqdL9B_8
- WHAT ARE WITNESS POSTS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P444qERDbnA
- CALTOPO ANNOUNCEMENT: https://blog.caltopo.com/2022/05/27/latest-high-resolution-elevation-data-updates/
- 3DEP: https://www.usgs.gov/3d-elevation-program
- 3DEP Explorer: https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/LidarExplorer/index.html
- Historic Topos: https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/topoexplorer/index.html
This Guide Was Written by Cris Hazzard
Hi, I’m Cris Hazzard, aka Hiking Guy, a professional outdoors guide, hiking expert, and author based in Southern California. I created this website to share all the great hikes I do with everyone else out there. This site is different because it gives detailed directions that even the beginning hiker can follow. I also share what hiking gear works and doesn’t so you don’t waste money. I don’t do sponsored or promoted content; I share only the gear recommendations, hikes, and tips that I would with my family and friends. If you like the website and YouTube channel, please support these free guides (I couldn’t do it without folks like you!).
Don’t Miss Out
- Monthly(ish) Email Newsletter – A list of new guides and important info for hikers.
- YouTube – Subscribe for new video notifications. The best way to get notified every time a new guide goes up.
- Instagram – I occasionally share pretty pictures from my hikes, broadcast live from the trail, and let you know about new guides.