Hagen Canyon Trail Hike (California)
|In This Guide|
|Distance||1.2 miles (1.9 km)|
|Hike Time||30 Minutes (Total)|
|Total Ascent (?)||120 feet (37m)|
|Highest Elevation||2,508 feet (764m)|
|Fees & Permits||Free|
|Park Contact||Red Rock Canyon State Park|
The easy Hagen Canyon Trail hike takes you through a colorful geographic landscape that was once all underwater. The colorful layers are sediment washed down from the old Sierra Mountains. Over the last 10 million years plate tectonic movement and erosion have formed what you see today. At one point it was a tourist attraction run by the Hagen family, today it’s a state park. The hike is short and shouldn’t take you more than an hour.
Getting To Hagen Canyon Trail
The trailhead address is: Abbott Dr, Cantil, CA, 93519, USA. If you’re driving to the Eastern Sierras and Mt Whitney, or Death Valley, Hagan Canyon is a nice place for a stop.
There are bathrooms nearby at the Visitor Center and at Red Cliffs Natural Area (another great hike). There’s also a primitive campsite up the road by the Visitor Center if you want to spend the night.
Gear for the Hagen Canyon Trail
This is a short hike and you don’t need any special hiking gear. However you’re in the Mojave Desert, it can get hot. It’s a short hike but you should bring water.
Here’s the gear that I personally use, have tested, and recommend for this hike*.
Good for light and more hardcore hikes. Feels like a sneaker but protects like a hiking boot.
This is a super-light and comfortable backpack that can hold everything you need on a hike, including a hydration bladder. It also works great as a general backpack or carry-on.
Make your photos stand out by using this lightweight, do-anything tripod. The Joby attaches your smartphone to trees, rocks, whatever you can find on the trail. Folds down compactly too.
Make sure you have all the right gear before hitting the trail!.HikingGuy Best Gear List
* No company pays me to promote or push a product, all the gear you see here is gear I use and recommend. If you click an REI link and buy gear, I get a small commission that helps offset website expenses. There is no cost to you.
What To Know For the Hike
- Hagen Canyon is named after German immigrant Rudolph Hagen, who bought most of this area as mining claims. He eventually turned it into a tourist attraction, complete with diner, bar, camping, and post office. Eventually the Hagen family turned it over to the state in 1969, when it became Red Rock Canyon State Park (California).
- All the landscape that you see on the Hagen Canyon trail used to be underwater.
- If the area looks familiar, you might have seen it on a TV show or movie. More recent productions shot here are Jurassic Park and Westworld.
- You’ll get the standard Mojave Desert wildlife cast of characters here. Lizards, snakes, and desert hares. A ranger told me that desert tortoises are active here too.
Hagen Canyon Trail Maps
Hagen Canyon Trail Hike (California) Map Downloads
Download the Hike GPX File
View a Printable PDF Hike Map
Hagen Canyon Hike Directions
Subscribe to HikingGuy on YouTube
Get My Quarterly Newsletter
Turn By Turn Hike Directions
Did something change on this hike? If so, please contact me and let me know. I'll update the guide.