Mt Hillyer Trail Hike
- 6.5 miles - Moderate Effort
- Or: 5 miles out-and-back
- 3 Hours (Total)
- 1,240 Total Feet of Climbing
- Max Elevation of 6,203 feet
- Leashed Dogs Allowed
The Mt Hillyer Trail hike takes you on a mellow summit loop through a little-hiked area of Angeles National Forest. The climb isn't tough, the distance isn't extreme, and that's part of why it's great. You'll hike through the old stomping ground of 1860s horse bandits, complete with a hidden pasture and boulder hideout. And at the summit of Mt Hillyer, you're rewarded with sweeping views of the eastern San Gabriels. Oh, and there are two different summits with two different views. So you got that going for you, which is nice.
- Video and Turn by Turn Hike Directions
- Which Mt Hillyer Trailhead to Use
- Gear Recommendations and Tips for the Hike
When planning, always check the park website and social media to make sure the trails are open. Similarly, check the weather and road conditions.
Getting to the Trailhead
The Mt Hillyer hike trailhead can be confusing; other guides have a variety of starting points. This guide follows one of the more traditional routes for the hike, and you don't have to worry about washed out roads or high-clearance vehicles. As long as Angeles Crest Highway is open, you should be able to get here.
There's not a good physical address for the trailhead, so follow these instructions instead.
Use this address:
Chilao Visitor Center, 1 Moccasin Trail, Palmdale, CA 93550
Instead of going to the visitor center, drive straight through until you reach the Silver Moccasin Trail parking area, which intersects the road.
Here is the Google Maps latitude and longitude map link for the parking area.
You need to display your Parks Pass or Adventure Pass to park here.
Gear For the Hike
Overall the hike is fairly exposed, so you should use sun protection and bring at least 1L of water (I bring 2L). And bugs can be around; plan accordingly.
Top Spring 2023 Gear Picks
Osprey Stratos and Sirrus 24 Daypack ( Amazon | Sirrus REI | Stratos REI )
Garmin Mini 2 Satellite Communicator ( Amazon | REI )
Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles ( REI | Amazon )
As a hiking guide, I test lots of hiking gear. On my picks page, I'll show you all of the gear that I actually use. I don't accept paid promotions or talk about the stuff that doesn't make the cut. It's just the gear that works best, so you don't have to waste your money.
All My March 2023 Top Gear Picks
Mt Hillyer Trail Maps
The trails are generally well marked and easy to follow. The climb through the boulders can be tricky; there are many small use trails to bouldering spots. I'll tell you what to look out for in the directions that follow.
Some GPX tracks and apps out there have this loop going in the opposite direction as I do. I find this (traditional) clockwise direction to be more enjoyable; it avoids doing the main ascent on a paved road. And if you want to avoid the pavement altogether, just hike to the second peak, turn around, and go back the way you came.
Explore Map on CalTopoView a Printable PDF Hike MapDownload the Hike GPX File
Free Nav Tools: GaiaGPS - AllTrails - LAST DAY - 50% Off AllTrails+
Guides to Help You Navigate
Where is the Real Summit?
Once you dive into the map, you might notice that the official summit marked by the USGS is not the highest point, which is the higher ridgeline to the southwest (6200 ft). The Sierra Club has been using the higher 6,200 point as the summit since 1946. In this guide I'll take you to both spots; each summit offers unique views and is worth a visit.
- This hike goes through the hideout area of Tiburcio Vasquez (1835-1875), the bandit who the character Zorro is loosely based on. The hidden pasture at Horse Flat Campground is where the bandits would keep their stolen horses, and the boulders of Mt Hillyer offered a fortress that they could retreat to if discovered. Vasquez was caught and hung in Runyon Canyon.
- The peak is named after Mary Hillyer, a beloved clerk who worked for the Forest Service in the 1920s.
- The loop is popular with mountain bikers, so keep an eye out. The tire tracks can come in handy. If you are in doubt of which trail to take, follow the bike tracks.
Mt Hillyer Hike Directions
Stay in Touch: Monthly Email - New YouTube Videos - Instagram
Turn By Turn Directions
If you need to use the toilet, do it at this campground.
If you don't want to hike on (small) paved roads as part of the upcoming loop, just turn around and go back the way you came.
This Guide Was Written by Cris Hazzard
Hi, I'm Cris Hazzard, aka Hiking Guy, a professional outdoors guide, hiking expert, and author based in Southern California. I created this website to share all the great hikes I do with everyone else out there. This site is different because it gives detailed directions that even the beginning hiker can follow. I also share what hiking gear works and doesn't so you don't waste money. I don't do sponsored or promoted content; I share only the gear recommendations, hikes, and tips that I would with my family and friends. If you like the website and YouTube channel, please support these free guides (I couldn't do it without folks like you!).
Don't Miss Out
- Monthly(ish) Email Newsletter - A list of new guides and important info for hikers.
- YouTube - Subscribe for new video notifications. The best way to get notified every time a new guide goes up.
- Instagram - I occasionally share pretty pictures from my hikes, broadcast live from the trail, and let you know about new guides.