Hike the Mobius Arch Loop Trail
|In This Guide|
|Distance||0.6 miles (1 km)|
|Hike Time||1 Hour (Total)|
|Total Ascent (?)||65 feet (20m)|
|Highest Elevation||4,665 feet (1422m)|
|Fees & Permits||Free|
|Park Website||Bishop Field Office - Bureau of Land Management|
|Stay In Touch||Newsletter - Instagram - YouTube - Facebook|
If you’re in Lone Pine, CA, don’t miss the Mobius Arch Loop Trail in the Alabama Hills Recreation Area. It’s an easy hike that has one of the best photo opportunities in the Eastern Sierras. You’ll be able to perfectly frame Mt Whitney and the Sierras within a natural rock arch formation. And there’s more than just Mobius Arch, Alabama Hills Recreation Area is full of natural beauty and unique rock formations. You might even recognize some of the spots in Alabama Hills from Django Unchained, Gladiator and Iron Man.
How to Get to Mobius Arch
The trailhead address is: Mobius Arch Loop Trailhead, Lone Pine, CA, 93545, USA. The trailhead is just off Whitney Portal Road between Lone Pine, CA and the Mt Whitney trailhead.
Once you’re on Movie Road, the directions below will help guide you to the trailhead.
Also note that if you are looking for a place to camp, this is Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land and free game for camping or car camping. There are not facilities and it gets hot, but there are plenty of nice places to setup for the night. It can come in handy if you want to grab some sleep before attempting Mt Whitney.
Gear for the Mobius Arch Hike
This is a short, easy hike that you don’t need any special gear for. It does get incredibly hot here, especially in the summer, so water is important.
The La Sportiva Spire boots feel like comfortable sneakers but offer the protection of hiking boots. They’re great on everything from short hikes to longer hikes of 10+ miles. You don’t want to skimp on your feet.
Reviews & Lowest Prices: Women – Men
I test a lot of gear, and for short to medium day hikes, travel, and everyday use, the Osprey Stratos (men) and Osprey Sirrus (women) are consistently the best. They’re lightweight, hold a hydration bladder to make drinking water easy, have lots of pockets to organize gear, and most importantly, are incredibly comfortable. Check out the reviews; they are impressive.
Reviews & Colors Here: Osprey Stratos (men) and Osprey Sirrus (women)
If you’re not familiar with the Garmin InReach technology, it allows you to send and receive text messages where you don’t have cell phone signals. You can also get weather reports and trigger an SOS to emergency responders. Even if you don’t have an emergency, sending a quick message telling a loved one that you’re okay or are running late is well worth the cost. The Mini fits in your palm and weighs next to nothing. Read my review and see the lowest prices and reviews at REI.
Here’s my complete gear list that I personally use, have tested, and recommend.See All of My Best Gear Picks Here
No company pays me to promote or push a product, all the gear you see here is gear I use and recommend. If you click an a link and buy gear, I get a small commission that helps offset website expenses. There is no cost to you.
What To Know Before You Hike
- Mobius Arch Loop Trail is in Alabama Hills Recreation Area, home to a bunch of beautiful geological formations. The rocks you see here are the same age as the high mountains of the Eastern Sierra, but they’ve just eroded differently. Most of the rock you see is between 82-200 million years old.
- Miners who sympathized with the confederate cause named this area after the CSS Alabama battleship, a confederate ship that wreaked havoc on Union shipping.
- Mobius Arch got it’s name because the one side looks like it folds over, like a Mobius strip.
- Alabama Hills Recreation Area is the setting for a ton of movies and TV shows like the Lone Ranger. There’s a movie museum in Lone Pine and they offer a self-guided tour of Alabama Hills Recreation Area, but most of the films are older westerns. If you’re not an old movie buff, you might not get much out of it. They did film parts of Iron Man, Django Unchained, and Gladiator here though.
- The hike has two great arches that you can frame Mt Whitney and the Sierras in, Mobius Arch and Lathe Arch. The image in the picture in this article is Lone Pine Peak, which is a little more photogenic.
- This is a quick hike that you can do while staying in Lone Pine or Whitney Portal. I usually do it after dinner to catch a great sunset on the rocks. Sunrise and sunset will get you great colors on the rock.
Mobius Arch Trail Maps
Hike the Mobius Arch Loop Trail Map Downloads
Download the Hike GPX File
View a Printable PDF Hike Map
Mobius Arch Hike Directions
Please help! Support these free hiking guides by simply buying anything at Amazon or REI using the buttons below, at no cost to you.
Turn By Turn Hike Directions
Did something change on this hike? If so, please contact me and let me know. I'll update the guide.