Red Cliffs Trail Hike - Red Rock Canyon SP
- 0.9 miles - Easy Effort
- 30 Minutes (Total)
- 120 Total Feet of Climbing
- Max Elevation of 2,489 feet
- No Dogs Allowed
The Red Cliffs Trail is an easy 1 mile loop hike in a unique Mojave Desert landscape. You'll pass the namesake Red Cliffs, rock formations of eroded sandstone, mudstone, and volcanic rock, thrusted up above the desert floor by faulting. It's also been the backdrop of many movies and television shows. The Red Cliffs Trail is a great place to stretch your legs if you're traveling between LA and the Eastern Sierra or Death Valley.
- Turn by Turn Hike Directions & Video
- Maps For the Hike
- How to Get to the Red Cliffs Trail
When planning, always check the park website and social media to make sure the trails are open. Similarly, check the weather and road conditions.
Getting to the Red Cliffs Trail
The trailhead address is: Red Cliffs Natural Area, Cantil, CA, 93519, USA. It's a great option for a roadside rest stop and hike.
There are free bathrooms here, and there's primitive camping across the street by the Hagen Canyon hike.
Gear for the Red Cliffs Trail Hike
This is a short hike and you don’t need any special hiking gear. In the summer it can get really hot. You're basically on the border of the Mojave Desert, the Eastern Sierra Nevada, and the western El Paso range. Bring water, even though it's a short hike.
Top Spring 2023 Gear Picks
Osprey Stratos and Sirrus 24 Daypack ( Amazon | Sirrus REI | Stratos REI )
Garmin Mini 2 Satellite Communicator ( Amazon | REI )
Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles ( REI | Amazon )
As a hiking guide, I test lots of hiking gear. On my picks page, I'll show you all of the gear that I actually use. I don't accept paid promotions or talk about the stuff that doesn't make the cut. It's just the gear that works best, so you don't have to waste your money.
All My March 2023 Top Gear Picks
What To Know About the Hike
- This area was originally part of a Kawaiisu trade route, used for thousands of years.
- A ton of movies and television shows have been shot here in Red Rock Canyon State Park, including a lot of old westerns and more recently Westworld and Jurassic Park.
- Keep your eyes out for wildlife. I always manage to see lots of desert hares, roadrunners, and big lizards. The rangers told me that desert tortoise are also around, but harder to spot.
Red Cliffs Trail Maps
Explore Map on CalTopoView a Printable PDF Hike MapDownload the Hike GPX File
Free Nav Tools: GaiaGPS - AllTrails
Guides to Help You Navigate
Red Cliffs Hike Directions
Stay in Touch: Monthly Email - New YouTube Videos - Instagram
Turn by Turn Hike Directions
This Guide Was Written by Cris Hazzard
Hi, I'm Cris Hazzard, aka Hiking Guy, a professional outdoors guide, hiking expert, and author based in Southern California. I created this website to share all the great hikes I do with everyone else out there. This site is different because it gives detailed directions that even the beginning hiker can follow. I also share what hiking gear works and doesn't so you don't waste money. I don't do sponsored or promoted content; I share only the gear recommendations, hikes, and tips that I would with my family and friends. If you like the website and YouTube channel, please support these free guides (I couldn't do it without folks like you!).
Don't Miss Out
- Monthly(ish) Email Newsletter - A list of new guides and important info for hikers.
- YouTube - Subscribe for new video notifications. The best way to get notified every time a new guide goes up.
- Instagram - I occasionally share pretty pictures from my hikes, broadcast live from the trail, and let you know about new guides.