What is Total Ascent and Why Is It Always Different?
You might have noticed that the total ascent figures for many of the same hikes have different values for the same route. This video will show you what total ascent is, how it relates to elevation gain, and why it's always different for consumer GPS units like wearables, handhelds, and smartphones.
- What is Total Ascent?
- Why is Total Ascent Often Wrong?
- Improving the Altitude Reading on Your GPS
This Guide Was Written by Cris Hazzard
Hi, I'm Cris Hazzard, aka Hiking Guy, a professional outdoors guide, hiking expert, and author based in Southern California. I created this website to share all the great hikes I do with everyone else out there. This site is different because it gives detailed directions that even the beginning hiker can follow. I also share what hiking gear works and doesn't so you don't waste money. I don't do sponsored or promoted content; I share only the gear recommendations, hikes, and tips that I would with my family and friends. If you like the website and YouTube channel, please support these free guides (I couldn't do it without folks like you!).
Don't Miss Out
- Monthly(ish) Email Newsletter - A list of new guides and important info for hikers.
- YouTube - Subscribe for new video notifications. The best way to get notified every time a new guide goes up.
- Instagram - I occasionally share pretty pictures from my hikes, broadcast live from the trail, and let you know about new guides.