Quail Hill Trail
|In This Guide|
|Distance||2 miles (3.2 km)|
|Hike Time||1 Hour (Total)|
|Total Ascent (?)||164 feet (50m)|
|Highest Elevation||279 feet (85m)|
|Fees & Permits||Free|
|Park Website||Irvine Open Space Preserve|
|Stay In Touch||Newsletter - Instagram - YouTube - Facebook|
|Support||Become a Patron - Shop at REI / Amazon|
Quail Hill Trail is a 2-mile loop hike that offers expansive views goes through the Irvine Open Space Preserve, designated a Natural Landmark by both the State of California and the U.S. Department of the Interior. The family and beginner-friendly hike goes along the easy to follow Quail Hill Loop Trail, offers parking and bathrooms, interpretive displays, and wildlife viewing opportunities, all within minutes of suburban Irvine, CA.
Where is the Quail Hill Trailhead in Irvine?
Use this trailhead address: Quail Hill Trailhead, 34 Shady Canyon, Irvine, CA 92603.
There are indoor bathrooms and water fountains at the parking lot. If the parking lot is full (fairly common), park across the street in the larger lots and walk across. It’s a popular place to start bike rides and runs, so get there early to beat the crowds.
What You Need For The Hike
You don’t need any special equipment to do this hike, it can be done as a pleasant walk. It can get very hot later in the day, so bring water. And after rains it can be muddy.
Here’s the gear that I personally use, have tested, and recommend for this hike.See All of My Best Gear Picks Here
Great for all hikes – short ones to 10+ miles Feels like a sneaker but protects like a hiking boot.
This is a super-light and comfortable backpack that can hold everything you need on a hike, including a hydration bladder. It also works great as a general backpack or carry-on.
This thing does everything: maps, GPX tracks, compass, barometer, altitude, heart rate, blood oxygen, fitness tracking, sleep tracking, and the list goes on. I keep a GPX route on the watch so I can quickly glance down and make sure I’m in the right place.
No company pays me to promote or push a product, all the gear you see here is gear I use and recommend. If you click an link and buy gear, I get a small commission that helps offset website expenses. There is no cost to you.
Quail Hill Trail Maps
There aren’t a lot of twists and turns here, another reason why this hike is great for families. Once you’re on the loop, just follow it in a circle.
Quail Hill Trail Map Downloads
Download the Hike GPX File
View a Printable PDF Hike Map
What You Need to Know For the Hike
- Can a 100 year old shrimp egg be waiting for rain at Quail Hill? The trail holds more than meets the eye. There are a lot of natural features that come to life at interpretive markers along the route. Use your phone to dial the number on the marker or use this link to get to the audio for these interesting snippets.
- Don’t be shocked if you see some wildlife. Roadrunners and quail are fairly common, rattlesnakes and coyote less so. Nothing dangerous here, just make sure you give any snakes a wide berth. I don’t see them often but they are here.
- The police occasionally ticket people who have their dogs off-leash.
- Quail Hill is an active habitat restoration area, so please stay on the trails.
- The colors are best in spring.
- The trail is relatively new; it was opened in 2010.
- The dirt pack on the trail is good, you can get away with a jogging stroller if you need to.
Quail Hill Trail Directions
Easy Ways To Say Thank You >>
Support Me On Patreon (with members-only benefits) or Shop at REI / Amazon at no cost to you
View This Video in 360
Turn by Turn Directions
Did something change on this hike? If so, please contact me and let me know. I'll update the guide.