Cleveland National Forest Hiking
Cleveland National Forest hiking often takes a backseat to the more popular hikes to the north, but there are plenty of great hikes in CNF. And because the elevation is lower, you can enjoy hiking all year, usually without the crowds. Don’t forget to leave your parks pass on your dashboard when you do these hikes.
|Beeks Place Hike From Black Star Canyon||16||Hard||Silverado||2240||Y|
|Hike the Chiquito Falls Trail||9.6||Hard||Lake Elsinore||1800||Y|
|San Juan Loop Trail Guide (CA)||2.1||Easy||Lake Elsinore||440||Y|
|Palomar Mountain Observatory Trail||5||Moderate||Palomar Mountain||1000||Y|
|Hike Coal Canyon Trail||10||Moderate||Corona||1840||N|
|Oak Grove Trail to High Point Hike||13.5||Hard||Warner Springs||3600||Y|
|Hike Indian Truck Trail to Santiago Peak||21||Hard||Corona||4910||Y|
|Hike Black Star Canyon Trail||7.1||Moderate||Silverado||820||Y|
|Hike the Bedford Peak Trail (Orange County)||7.2||Hard||Silverado||2000||Y|
|Caspers Wilderness Park – Hike San Juan Hot Springs||10.5||Moderate||San Juan Capistrano||830||N|
|Sitton Peak Hike||9.2||Moderate||Trabuco Canyon||1960||Y|
|Hike Holy Jim Falls Trail||2.8||Easy||Corona||600||Y|
|Modjeska Peak Hike||15||Hard||Trabuco Canyon||4820||Y|
|Saddleback Mountain Hike (Santiago Peak)||15.6||Hard||Corona||4300||Y|
You can check for any closures or alerts here.
Cleveland National Forest Tips
- In the summer, it can get really hot. The best time to hike Cleveland National Forest is when the temps are cooler.
- Bugs can be intense, especially when it’s hot out. When I hike here, I always bring repellant and a head net.
- There are basically three types of trails that you’ll find.
- Wide dirt road that are listed as trails. Some of these can be open to 4×4 traffic. A good example is the Indian Truck Trail.
- Single track that’s usually rocky, sandy, and on the steeper side. The Chiquito Trail is a good example.
- Smaller trails that are not often used and commonly overgrown, like on the Modjeska Peak hike.
- You need a parking pass at trailheads in the park. I use the National Parks pass which lets me park in any national land including National Parks.
Most Popular Hikes
- Saddleback Mountain
- Black Star Canyon
- San Juan Loop Trail
Family Friendly Hikes
- Holy Jim Falls
- San Juan Loop Trail
- Palomar Mountain
16 miles - Hard
9.6 miles - Hard
2.1 miles - Easy
5 miles - Moderate
10 miles - Moderate
13.5 miles - Hard
21 miles - Hard
7.1 miles - Moderate
7.2 miles - Hard
10.5 miles - Moderate
9.2 miles - Moderate
2.8 miles - Easy
15 miles - Hard
15.6 miles - Hard