LA Mountain Hikes
LA is not usually thought of as a mountain hiking city, but some of the best LA hikes are in the high mountains, all within an hour or so of downtown. In fact, some of these peaks are only a few thousand feet lower than Mt Whitney. Check out these great LA mountain hikes.
LA Mountain Hiking Tips
- Always check the "Alerts & Closures" link in my guides before heading out. Sometimes trails and roads are closed in the mountains.
- If you're not experienced hiking in the snow and winter alpine conditions, check to see if there's snow on the trail before you go.
- Lower peaks like Echo Mountain and Mt Wilson are often snow free when the higher peaks are covered.
- When it snows, there can often be lines of cars to get to the popular spots, some of which you need chains for.
- Prepare for all weather conditions. While most of SoCal never sees a thunder storm, the mountains do.
- Learn how hiking in the mountains is different than normal hikes.