LA Mountain Hikes
LA is not usually considered a mountain hiking city, but some of the best LA hikes are in the high mountains, all within an hour or so of downtown. Some of these peaks are only a few thousand feet lower than Mt Whitney. Check out these great LA mountain hikes.
LA Mountain Hiking Tips
- Always check my guides' "Alerts & Closures" link before heading out. Sometimes trails and roads are closed in the mountains.
- If you're not experienced in hiking in the snow and winter alpine conditions, check to see if there's snow on the trail before you go.
- Lower peaks like Echo Mountain and Mt Wilson are often snow-free when the higher elevations are covered.
- When it snows, there can often be lines of cars to get to the popular spots, some of which you need chains for.
- Prepare for all weather conditions. While most of SoCal never sees a thunderstorm, the mountains do.
- Learn how hiking in the mountains is different than typical hikes.